Board Member Volunteer
As a board member of Denise Louie Education Center, you can apply your professional experience to improving the lives of low income, immigrant and refugee children and families. Our goal is to prepare children for success in school and in life, through pre-school, parent involvement, family support, healthy development, and arent leadership. Board members provide strategic direction to the organization using information from our community assessment, program data and self-assessment. They are responsible for ensuring quality service delivery and the fulfillment of the agency mission.
Fill out the online volunteer application or email email@example.com with the subject line HR Volunteer.
Hours / Days
3-8 Hours per month
Administrative Office – 5333 15th Avenue South, Suite 1K, Seattle, WA 98108
General Roles & Responsibilities
The general Board roles and responsibilities are as follows:
- Attend all board meetings (8 of 11 required);
- Participate on at least one board committee;
- Participate in the board’s annual retreat;
- Make a personal financial gift at a leadership level;
- Volunteer at least one time per year in the classroom, field trip, parent meeting, staff meeting or other activity involving DLEC children and/or families;
- Help solicit other contributions to the organization or assist with a fundraising event/activity;
- Participate in the hiring and/or evaluation of the Executive Director;
- Recruit other board members or volunteers; and
- Speak or represent DLEC at a community event.
Head Start Specific Responsibilities
DLEC receives a majority of its funding from the United States Department of Health and Human Services for its Head Start program. The Head Start performance standards require board participation in and/or approval of the following activities:
- Procedures for program planning;
- Program’s philosophy and long and short-range program goals and objectives;
- All funding applications and amendments to funding applications;
- Composition of the Policy Council and procedures by which the policy groups are chosen;
- Written policies and that define roles and responsibilities of governing body members and that inform them of the management procedures and functions necessary to implement high quality program;
- Procedures describing how the policy group will implement shared decision-making; and
- Internal dispute resolution procedure.